Friday 10 August 2012

Flash Fiction - Week 11!

Airport Blues

“I’m getting too old for this crap!” Veronica said wheeling her compact suitcase through Hong Kong airport. 
“Don’t say that, Ronnie!” Mark replied. “If you are, then I am too.” 
They both held up their staff badges and skipped the security queue. 
“Don’t you ever long for living in the same place? Waking up in the same bed every morning?” Ronnie asked. 
“With the same person? No way!”
Veronica slapped him playfully on the arm. “Funny! But you know what I mean. We’re not twenty-one anymore.” 
“So, what are you saying? Do you want to,” he looked furtively around him and whispered, “settle down?” 
“Do you know what? I think maybe I do,” Veronica said nodding slowly. 
“Well, that’s something I never thought I’d hear you say.” 
“I know, I know. I was always a believer in new day, new place. But I’m getting tired.” 
“What would you do?” 
“I don’t know and I suppose that’s the problem.” 
They wheeled their cases onto the plane and stored them in to the overhead lockers. 
“Here we go again,” Mark said. 
Veronica sighed. “Yep, guess so.” 
She plastered a smile onto her heavily made-up face. “Morning Ma’am, welcome to your flight today to…”
L. Besley
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Flash Fiction diary
I thought I'd start a little posting about my thoughts and feelings either towards the piece or how my writing in general is going this week. Let me know if it works for you! 
This piece was obviously inspired by my recent trip back to England. I'm working different hours at the moment due to summer school at the British Council, so again it's interesting to see how I can adapt my writing around the different hours. 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Flash Fiction is short enough to read whilst you're waiting for the kettle to boil. It's fairly quick to write too, but with it being so short, every word has to count. 

On 4th May 2012 I decided to embark on a project: to write a piece of Flash Fiction every day. I'm hoping this will keep the creative juices flowing and ultimately help me hone my craft. Every Friday I'll be posting 'the best of the week' onto my blog for you to read. If you have anything to say (good or 'constructive'!), I'm open to comments.  

Thanks, as always, for reading. 

9 comments:

  1. That was awesome, Laura. I can absolutely identify with the characters. Well done for getting yr second blog award! You're fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very apt. And yes, the characters are real identifiable personalities. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flyingscribbler says you can settle down and still fly the airways! By the way, ths conversation really does happen all the time. I kind of guessed they were crew straight away so the last line lost some impact, but being crew myself, I recognised these people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Flyingscribbler, thanks for your comments! It's a real compliment to hear that conversations like this actually do happen. I wasn't really aiming to conceal that they were crew members, but not everyone spotted it straight away.

      I've been to your site and read your latest story - nicely done!

      Delete
  5. Terrific! I like the idea of you including a little note about what inspired you to do this, or your writing in general. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny for your comments! I'm glad you like the new 'Flash Fiction Diary' - I'll try to keep it up! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...